BCM4312 + b43 = random connection drops

Started by Gia90, September 11, 2013, 07:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gia90

Hi guys, I'm very frustrated and disappointed because I can't make my broadcom 4312 work with b43...
It used to work on older ubuntu kernels, but not now, with newer ubuntu releases and BackBox 3.05.

After a fresh BackBox install, my wireless card wasn't recognized at all, even after installing the b43 lpphy firmware installer...
After many trials and errors, I solved this (and a scanning problem) by upgrading to a newer kernel (3.5) which seems to work best among other versions, as I read on this forum (http://forum.backbox.org/hardware-support/dell-inspiron-e1505-bcm4311-problems-no-wireless/15/).

But now there's a last annoying problem, which is giving me headache:
I can connect to my AP succesfully, and at first the internet connection works ok, but just for some minutes.
After, even if I'm still connected to my AP, the webbrowser or the terminal (ping command for example) cannot contact the requested server, behaving like I have no connection..
After a lot of time and randomly, it seems to start working again, but for a little time, and then again and again...

I don't know how to understand and solve this problem, can anyone help?
Thank you!

ZEROF

Hi,

From what i can see, you have adapter who needs more then good drivers. I worked to find solution for long time, for rt2870 chipset, and i have found solution. What i propose (on your own risk) is to upgrade your kernel to 3.10 and install last backports (old compact-drivers). This fixed my issue with cheap adapter from China.

Good luck !

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*

b4d_bl0ck

Hi Gia90,
i guess you have already searched on google, but if you simply type linux bcm4312 lots of useful results come out. You can try those solutions proposed for different OSs.
One of the options in these cases could be installing vendor supplied drivers from source. You usually find them on the official vendor website.
Another useful thing would be looking in your log files when you have the issue, and see what is going on... maybe it's due to wrong drivers.

Also, you can do as proposed by ZEROF... maybe more recent kernel and backports would solve your problem.

Let us know.
Bye!
bool secure = check_paranoia() ? true : false;

Gia90

Quote from: ZEROF on September 11, 2013, 10:52:42 PM
What i propose (on your own risk) is to upgrade tour kernel to 3.10 and install last backports (old compact-drivers). This fixed my issue with cheap adapter from China.
Good luck !
Hi ZEROF,
I've tried different kernels, but they caused more issue.
The 3.8, for example, caused issue with the wlist scanning results, so i settled on the 3.5, which seems to be the most stable one.
Anyway, I didn't try with the 3.10, so I will try this.
If it still doesn't work as expected, would it be advisable to try to downgrade the kernel to an older version?

Quote from: b4d_bl0ck on September 12, 2013, 10:28:11 AM
One of the options in these cases could be installing vendor supplied drivers from source. You usually find them on the official vendor website.
Another useful thing would be looking in your log files when you have the issue, and see what is going on... maybe it's due to wrong drivers.
I would like to use the b43 driver, since it let me use my wireless card with aircrack...and I don't really like proprietary things :S
I've also checked my pc logs, but I can't find nothing useful to solve the problem.
Do you mean dmeg and syslog, right?

Thank you guys for not leaving me alone :)

b4d_bl0ck

Quoteand I don't really like proprietary things :S
Eheh, we don't as well!  ;)
But you can see b43 requires proprietary firmware too... and sometimes this is the only solution to have things working.
Or if this is the point, just buy a new wireless adapter wich works with open drivers.
Then yes, i was talking about dmesg (kern.log) and syslog.
Maybe try to look to http://wireless.kernel.org/ for your wifi card, or install backports as told by ZEROF.

Hope you'll solve...
Bye! :)
bool secure = check_paranoia() ? true : false;

Gia90

Still nothing, I've tried all your suggestions, but nothing worked!
And the most irritating thing is that I can't understand what's wrong, since there's no error message and the issues are totally random!

It is quite disappointing to see new releases and drivers work worse than older ones.

Now I've no idea what to try.

ZEROF

Hi,

Do you see that every man from this forum try to help you ? If you don't see that our help is good for you, just buy adapter with good chipset and you will not have future problems. I tested so many ways and adapters last two years that you can't even imagine, and i always found workout. Because of that i can say you that in some point you have done something wrong working on system settings.

Can you provide adapter model name, serial and MAC address ? After this i will look one more time, but nobody can promise you solution that will be one click move.

Good luck.

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*