Author Topic: openvpn plugin for network-manager  (Read 2502 times)

d-evil

• View Profile
on: April 12, 2018, 11:31:48 PM
Backbox 5.1:
Where is openvpn from network-manager? And how do I import an ovpn configuration file or create a new openvpn connection?
TNX

ostendali

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:07:15 AM
again and again, recently everybody just here to post the first issue they are having and expect the pasta to be served at instance.

it is the basic requirement of this forum which I bet you never read, that you need to do some homework and come with a problem if you really hit something hard to solve.

google ffs:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-16-04

d-evil

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:38:11 PM
Dear ostendali!
Thank you for your useless advice!
Openvpn is already integrated into the image! You may not have read my question carefully. I asked about network-manager. In versions prior to 4.7 inclusive have been able to use network-manager to create client VPN connections. It was also possible to import saved VPN connection settings. In version 5.1, these features remain for PPTP and cisco anyconnect only. Installing the network-manager-openvpn-gnome and network-manager-openvpn packages does not yield results.

anton_gorodetsky

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:39:29 AM
Dear ostendali!
Thank you for your useless advice!
Openvpn is already integrated into the image! You may not have read my question carefully. I asked about network-manager. In versions prior to 4.7 inclusive have been able to use network-manager to create client VPN connections. It was also possible to import saved VPN connection settings. In version 5.1, these features remain for PPTP and cisco anyconnect only. Installing the network-manager-openvpn-gnome and network-manager-openvpn packages does not yield results.

There is option... Backbox 5.1

d-evil

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:37:02 PM
4.7 OPENVPN config import supported

5.1 OPENVPN config import NOT supported
But All required packages are installed!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:41:38 PM by d-evil »

anton_gorodetsky

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:37:18 PM
Don't know what to say, but look at this https://airvpn.org/topic/11432-using-airvpn-with-ubuntu-network-manager/
It's seems to be a problem with Ubuntu network manager, this problem is not related to Backbox in any way. AirVPN team suggest not to use network-manager-openvpn.
"Due to multiple, critical  problems in network-manager-openvpn which after years have not been solved we recommend to NOT use it."

d-evil

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 11:08:02 PM
TNX

But on Ubuntu 16.04 after installing network-manager-openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome everything works fine.