Backbox on eMMC won't boot

Started by Coin__coin, January 05, 2018, 10:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coin__coin

Hello everyone.
I'm just new to the community and french, so please excuse my English...  ;D

I've been testing Backbox (latest 64bit version) on live USB for some time now. And everything works fine on my Asus E403SA (N4200 - 4Gb)
So I waned a more definitive install and the install process goes perfectly. Once finished, when I reboot without the USB thumb drive, I get send to the Bios Boot menu with no option.
I've read somewhere it might be linked to the fact that my hard drive is not SSD or sstndard, but eMMC (64gb)

I've tried installing several other Linux distribs (Kali, Mint, Ubuntu all latest versions) and they all work (install OK, boot OK).

Anyone having or had the same issue ?

PS : I looked trhough the search engine, but did not find anything relevant...

ZEROF

Hi,

This must be BIOS, Grub, related issue or some drivers support, that is long list if you ask me, and if you didn't find info about it, that is because that I'm not sure how many people there have eMMC type as primary disk (much more then in the past for sure, today everybody looks for light weight laptops for their work). But good news is that other people talking about Ubuntu installation, and BBox is Ubuntu/Debian based distro.

I found a lot of information about "Installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on eMMC", but I'm not going to list them all here, because I'm sure that this have nothing with eMMC and more with other hardware/drivers settings.

Boot into recovery mode (press shift on boot, you will get option, mount disk (mount -o rw,remount /) then install "apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel" package, reboot and see how things will work. That was case on one of my laptops.

Good luck

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*

harviedusty