Help me make my choice

Started by hagosian, August 23, 2017, 07:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hagosian

Hello!

I would like to install BackBox as a main / single operating system (no dual-boot with Windows / Linux), but I hesitate between installing BackBox, or installing Ubuntu and using Kali via VmWare, so I have a few questions:

- How to be sure and certain that BackBox does not contain a Backdoor?
I have a hard time believing that someone will take a long time to create a completely free operating system, and therefore will get very little money, work benevolement in fact
I know that Backbox is open source so we can go check the code ourselves etc to check, but nothing says that the person is honest, it can have a different code on the iso, it is not From github

- Can Backbox be used as the primary and only operating system?
In short, I would like to do the security tests, but on the other, twitter, encode, github, talk with my friends online, go to sites, watch videos, send emails, note appointments You, in short things "confidential", my privacy what, is not a problem if I use backbox both for computer security and both for my privacy? Is Backbox more secure than Ubuntu for example?

To summarize, I hesitate between Ubuntu + Kali Linux in VmWare and between Backbox (although I may also install Kali and Windows in VmWare with Backbox), because I have (not yet?) Totally trust in Backbox

(Give me the advantages and disadvantages of using Backbox rather than Ubuntu if you want :))

thank you very much!

(Ah and one last thing!
The last time I used backbox, instead of having a wlan card "wlan0 / wlan1, etc." I had an "ewl0121444" and it's really annoying to be able to use attacks wifi networks, Problem? Is this normal?)

ostendali

Quote from: hagosian on August 23, 2017, 07:39:03 PM
Hello!

I would like to install BackBox as a main / single operating system (no dual-boot with Windows / Linux), but I hesitate between installing BackBox, or installing Ubuntu and using Kali via VmWare, so I have a few questions:

- How to be sure and certain that BackBox does not contain a Backdoor?
I have a hard time believing that someone will take a long time to create a completely free operating system, and therefore will get very little money, work benevolement in fact
I know that Backbox is open source so we can go check the code ourselves etc to check, but nothing says that the person is honest, it can have a different code on the iso, it is not From github

It is a silly question yours first of all with all due respect and it doesn't merits a response.

But let me make an exception for once.

The all concept around Linux and its creation was born in a community environment and so is with BackBox. Therefore, if you have difficulty to trust in such project then any of Linux distribution won't do for you. I emphasize, any, Debian, Ubuntu, BackBox, Kali, CentOS and so on.....

So if you are questioning the integrity of BackBox then you are questioning all of them. You seem to lack serious knowledge about the community structure and the way Linux (all of them) is designed/built.

- Can Backbox be used as the primary and only operating system?
In short, I would like to do the security tests, but on the other, twitter, encode, github, talk with my friends online, go to sites, watch videos, send emails, note appointments You, in short things "confidential", my privacy what, is not a problem if I use backbox both for computer security and both for my privacy? Is Backbox more secure than Ubuntu for example?

BackBox is for testing security and not self-security. Again, you lack in serious knowledge here. If you don't know what BackBox is for then better not to use because we don't want people going around and playing with toys that will harm the global internet users. In this particular case, by reading your post, I'd be rather concerned about people like you rather than questioning the BackBox integrity here. Not sure if the message is clear enough. You need to learn/know basics pls, we then welcome you and your questions. Only when they are reasonable, not lunatic posts like this one.

To summarize, I hesitate between Ubuntu + Kali Linux in VmWare and between Backbox (although I may also install Kali and Windows in VmWare with Backbox), because I have (not yet?) Totally trust in Backbox

(Give me the advantages and disadvantages of using Backbox rather than Ubuntu if you want :))

thank you very much!

(Ah and one last thing!
The last time I used backbox, instead of having a wlan card "wlan0 / wlan1, etc." I had an "ewl0121444" and it's really annoying to be able to use attacks wifi networks, Problem? Is this normal?)

We are not selling services or anything here, so get the advantages and disadvantages yourself. This is a community not a company.

feel free to post any questions you have but only reasonable ones pls.

Good luck!