tools backbox

Started by xxx600, August 17, 2017, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxx600

hi backbox team

I have a query about the tools of the backbox

Why not add other tools from the hacking test tools by default such as -maltego -armitag -witi v2 (r87) - recon-ng -shodan
And many other tools found in kali They are important and essential tools
I know it can be installed very easily but why not by default in the distribution
What is the inhibitor of adding it

I prefer Buck Box on kali but it lacks a lot of tools
please reply

ostendali

the inhibitor is because they don't comply with BackBox requirements...

BackBox is not a bin where you just trash every existent security tools on this planet.

Among other options BackBox requires 3 fundamental criteria for the tools to be included in its default installation:
1) the proposed tools should not have similar functionalities with what already BackBox have installed
2) the proposed should not be outdated (continuous development and update is essential)
3) the proposed tool should not be commercial software (backbox includes only free and open source tools)

will that suffice as response?

xxx600

ok thank you

for example
wifite v2 (R87) free and open sourse and last version bat backbox wifite v2 (r85)  can update this tool

and I have a suggestion as to whether you can add other tools such as those you mentioned in repositories backbox Just ??
It wants to be installed easily

ostendali

we are working on wifite upgrade and will release in repo as soon as is ready.
we can add tools to backbox repositories of course, feel free to suggest them.

fukwad

Quote from: ostendali on August 17, 2017, 06:36:46 PM

BackBox is not a bin where you just trash every existent security tools on this planet.

Among other options BackBox requires 3 fundamental criteria for the tools to be included in its default installation:
1) the proposed tools should not have similar functionalities with what already BackBox have installed
2) the proposed should not be outdated (continuous development and update is essential)
3) the proposed tool should not be commercial software (backbox includes only free and open source tools)

I've always wondered the same. Your answer makes a lot of sense. Can I use it in the next Cybrary Open how to that I'm going to write?

ostendali

Quote from: fukwad on October 01, 2017, 02:54:08 AM

I've always wondered the same. Your answer makes a lot of sense. Can I use it in the next Cybrary Open how to that I'm going to write?
fire away!

fukwad

ostendali

Quote from: bokim on October 04, 2017, 09:09:03 AM

And this answer, and to be more precise this 3 criteria is the one of the main reason why I love Backbox. But anyway, if not a problem, would like to know which of above criteria OpenVAS does not meet and why is not included anymore in default installation? It's not a problem to install for me, and that's not a question, just want to know why this tool is not present in default tools (is oudated, or have a similar functionality with other tool and which one, or maybe break some funcionality of the other things)? Nothing special in my question, just want to know your reasons why this tool isn't included.
openvas meets all criteria and requirements, the problem is with the packaging structure and to make it work. It is an unfortunate to say that openvas is not making things really easy and most of the time it has number of problem in starting/making it work. So it is for the hassle that we did not include, no reasons other than that...beside, it is not an essential tool anymore. but of course, you can install it if you want.