[SOLVED] Lenovo Y700 Dual Boot 2 drives EFI issue

Started by kd4pba, May 05, 2016, 06:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd4pba

Hi all,

A quick question here.  I have a new Lenovo Y700 17.  
This specific system is the 80Q0001NUS.  The system has 1 128GB SSD with Windows 10 installed as well as Lenovo's standard recovery options.  The system also has a 1TB SATA drive.  Out of the box the SATA drive came formatted to NTFS.
There is no optical drive only USB3 and USB2 and an SD slot.

I can boot backbox via and external USB DVD drive without switching to legacy boot.  I can not however install.
When it comes to trying to partition the box I modified the 1TB Drive by shrinking it. I have about 450GB For Linux now.  The remainder is NTFS. I did not touch the SSD drive.

When I try to run through the install, my understanding based on other distro's that are either Ubuntu or Debian based is that I need to create an EFI partition on the 1TB Drive. I can create a root and swap partition but no EFI.  Yes the BIOS is set to UEFI.

Oddly I installed Ubuntu 16.04 and within the partition tool there was an option for EFI, I crated a 700mb EFI partition on /dev/sdb and two additional partitions , root and swap with no issue.  the EFI happens to be /dev/sdb2.  When I was asked where to install the boot loader, I installed to /dev/sdb2.

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 with no issue , on reboot I was greeted with Grub , and I can choose either Windows 10 or Ubuntu. Both work.

I tried a few scripts for installing the tool sets and I it is  not clear to me if the current repo's are compatible with 16.04 or not?

So two questions

1) Can I simply install Backbox over the existing Ubuntu install, format the root partition and the EFI partition and then choose the EFI partition /dev/sdb2 for the location of my boot loader?  My guess is yes. I would however appreciate some feedback.

2) What version of Ubuntu to to include the repos for Backbox "Current"?   I would be fine with this option as it would provide the tools.

Much appreciated ,  in advance.

Chris  

ZEROF

Hi,

You look like somebody who knows what he need to do, but you asked strange question. You ask about repository, that was 10sec search from terminal or checking on our site, before pushing up BackBox 5 we will stay with 14.04 LTS repositories, but that will change in the future.

About other question? I don't run my box with other OS's, because I don't see need for it, i have VM with Win installation for some ESXI server administration, but that is all. I would like to help more, but i don't have same settings on my side, and all what I can say to you, try and keep me posted.

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*