[SOLVED] Error on VMware?

Started by meu, February 26, 2016, 10:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugsecurities

I tried kali,debian,xfce etc and the error never appeared

ZEROF is the problem with the kernel in backbox something to do with the backbox kernel and the way its setup, the librarys are distrubting the way vmware links the tools with the kernel ?? it seems to be with various release's of vmware version 8,11 and 12 of those were tested , so Im presuming every version of vmware this has an issue with this backbox release 4.5

ZEROF

Look, i tested 4.4 and I don't have that issue, tested today, i was playing on building system image and kernel crash etc..With last kernel version i didn't have this issue.

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*

bugsecurities

Look, I was only asking dont drop your knickers  :o  I was asking because I thought you might have an insight or already knew about the problem and were working on it

Sorry if you got all pissed off about it !!!

the user will use virtualbox until this is resolved , its not the end of the world and beside virtualbox is open source its a win win

Again I was only asking becuase I was making a educated guess based on trying other distros in vmware and I didnt experience the same problem I was'nt bashing backbox in any way or the devs and I  was asking you to confirm or deny it may be the problem I was'nt being smart. I was just curious

There is issues with vmware tools and linking librarys with kernels acccording the the bug reports in vmware

If it is a backbox issue no panic if it is a vmware issue you can post back and jump up and down  :o and let me know how wrong and stupid I am , Ill be happy to reimburse you your frustration in being asked a question of curious nature  

If its any consolation, backbox is the most professional pentesting distro I've seen in a long time # the first time

1 ) the installer is the smoothest installer/boot with nice smooth graphical interface that I've ever come across
2 ) The website has been overhauled and very professional looking
3 ) The distro is not over whelmed and installed with every tool under the sun ,not limited but with enough and the right tools to start with

who ever looks after the graphical department has done a really fluid job of making it feel very professional
Most pentesing distro's dont worry about design and its more about whats it side
But I disagree it has to be both and backbox has accomplished both !!!! and thats being honest I dont lick anyone's hole I just say it as I see it

Backbox looks to be a very promising pentesting distro for the future !!

ZEROF

:)

QuoteSorry if you got all pissed off about it !!!

No, you did not, sorry if I sounded pissed off, but that don't have nothing with this topic. I try to build some images (learning about armhf) and my vm was crached and I couldn't boot again :). I got kernel panic and i didn't even installed system, it was live boot. It's only with vm's, i don't have issues with my HD installation.

bugsecurities

No problem I was just curious I was trying to figure it out, It seem like vmware tools was causing the issue trying to install the tools at start up and the libararys were causing an issue with the kernel Im not sure thats why I ask , after testing other distro's I didnt have the same issue Im not saying I tried every distro there may be other distros that have the same issue , and I was trying to work out the issue

I wasnt trying to be a smart arse !! hope the issue can be resolved thanks

ZEROF

This is how things work ...

1. You get system and you updated that system, you get kernel up to date etc...
2. In this point, we are good, you will not have issue
3. But, what you get if you have preinstalled vmware tools?
4. Kernel was upgraded, and vmware tools don't work well with new kernel
5. Here we have our issue
6. How to fix, remove tools or install last kernel

You can get this error on every Linux system, if you push kernel updates and dkms or open-vm-tools for vmware don't support that kernel at all, or just "few" bugs that will mess your day.

I had this issue when i was playing with ZEN kernel (https://forum.backbox.org/howtos/installing-liquoixzen-kernel-4-2-3-for-fun/), before using this kernel i installed vmware player and tools, that messed up my system. Best thing in situation like this,  is to remove virtualbox installation or vmware, install new kernel, then build dkms or vmware tools to kernel, if they are supported. But always keep one or two older version of kernel, like that you can always boot with older kernel and remove one not supporting virtualization.

bugsecurities

I concur on the tools issue, But the probem the user is having which I did occur twice on live boot trying to install was after the mesage it did crash
On one instance I manged to get it through the installer by not allowing the tools to be installed in bootup on live install

and I can say with kali,debian and xfce I tried I didnt have the issue ..

So its a vmware problem regarding the loading of tools at live boot ? and it can be dismissed ? in other words ignore it and just install it and work from there

I have'nt tried virtualbox in windows but Ill install it and see if I have the same issue

bugsecurities

Ive just Tested backbox in virtualbox with windows and there's no issue's, vmware tools is causing the issue and I've reported the bug  :'(

If you require a virtual machine of backbox Please use virtualbox to install or to run backbox

Virtualbox Download link # https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Virtualbox Extension pack link # http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.0.14/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.0.14-105127.vbox-extpack

TOPIC CLOSED

Thanks zerof

ostendali

Quote from: ZEROF on February 27, 2016, 09:08:21 PM
Hi,

We are working on fixing that issue. If all goes ok, we will have update next week ;).
we have just released new ISO images to address this issue.

Pls download new ISO and you will be fine.

meu

Quote from: ostendali on February 29, 2016, 05:28:40 PM

I have just downloaded the new .iso file, we have new case (:

When will we get stable .iso?

ZEROF

Meu image is just fine. But you need to look on your side. Check md5 hash of your ISO, format your USB to fat16, don't use dd to make bootable media if you use one.

Check this topic as well: http://askubuntu.com/questions/329704/syslinux-no-default-or-ui-configuration-directive-found

drego85

Hi to all,
the BackBox Team is working hard to resolve the VMware issue.

The problem is the kernel and driver incompatibilities with the older version of VMware.

We hope to solve the problems in the short and release a new ISO (BackBox 4.5.1).

If you use VMware Workstation 10 and startup crashes, we ask a little patience. If you use other versions of VMware and BackBox starts but you can't use the mouse you can follow these commands:

1. CTRL+ALT+F1
2. sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse (automatic remove xserver-xorg-input-all)
3. sudo pkill -KILL -u backbox

Thanks for your patience.
Andrea

Andrea Draghetti
Personal Blog

meu

Quote from: ZEROF on March 02, 2016, 03:56:42 PM
Meu image is just fine. But you need to look on your side. Check md5 hash of your ISO, format your USB to fat16, don't use dd to make bootable media if you use one.

Check this topic as well: http://askubuntu.com/questions/329704/syslinux-no-default-or-ui-configuration-directive-found

I have checked md5 two times, I have downloaded the new .iso two times. I think, the .iso mirrors have different versions of BackBox. The "syslinux-no-default-or-ui-configuration-directive-found" error is gone (ZEROF, I know the solution of this error, I want to say there; the mirror's should have stable versions of .iso and also USB? What makes you think that I'm using the BackBox on USB?). But, the error which is the title of this topic (Error on VMware) still same.

Also, ostendali says;

Quote from: ostendali on February 29, 2016, 05:28:40 PM
we have just released new ISO images to address this issue.

But, drego85 says;

Quote from: drego85 on March 03, 2016, 09:07:48 AM
Hi to all,
the BackBox Team is working hard to resolve the VMware issue.

The problem is the kernel and driver incompatibilities with the older version of VMware.

We hope to solve the problems in the short and release a new ISO (BackBox 4.5.1).

As you can see, there are a lot of improper process operations here. Am I wrong? Or am I looking from different side? I'm volunteer for "BackBox Tester" task/mission/position whatever you call it...

The only thing I want; proper process operations, professionality and stable .iso (:

Best regards.

drego85

Quote from: meu on March 03, 2016, 09:20:36 AM
The only thing I want; proper process operations, professionality and stable .iso (:

Best regards.

Our professionalism is at the forefront, we are working every day to solve the problem.

Unfortunately there are external factors, the kernel don't develop we (although this problem has been solved thanks to our member Gianfranco and its role in Debian) and VMWare is a closed software with rare support for older versions of VMWare. We then bought VMware licenses to do all the tests.

Which version are you using of VMWare?
Andrea Draghetti
Personal Blog

meu

Quote from: drego85 on March 03, 2016, 09:35:56 AM
Which version are you using of VMWare?

I test it, VMware Workstation 8/9/11.