[SOLVED] Error on VMware?

Started by meu, February 26, 2016, 10:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meu

Hi,

I downloaded latest version of BackBox, and I tried to use it on VMware Workstation. But, there is an error. Screenshot is included below (move the scroll bar to the right side).

Is there any solution for this?

bugsecurities

locate vboxdrv | while read line; do head -1 | xargs $line setup > /dev/null;done

I READ THE POST TITLE AND MY MIND WENT AWOL AND SWAPPED VMWARE WITH VIRTUALBOX, " while I was day dreaming  :P "  WHICH RESULTED IN A MASSIVE BRAIN FART WHICH MADE THIS MASSIVE TREAD THAT WAS'NT NEEDED

IF I WAS TROLLING THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD ONE , BUT I CANT EVEN USE THAT EXCUSE BECAUSE I'M NOT, I WAS
ACTUALLY TRYING TO HELP , WHICH IN TURNED OUT OT BE AN EPIC FAIL  ::)

Get your popcorn at the ready !!! its goofs and giggles time

To better decribe whats has happened " No good deed goes unpunished"

meu

It did not work. Note that, I want to use without installing..

bugsecurities

Have you started the virtualbox service

sudo service virtualbox restart

Im not sure what you mean by running it without installing  ???
Do you mean start up virtualbox but not install or boot up an os inside of virtualbox

I installed a virtualbox backbox in a backbox to make a front box  :o

meu

Quote from: bugsecurities on February 26, 2016, 02:10:31 PM
Have you started the virtualbox service

I want to run BackBox virtual (on VMware Workstation) and screenshot of the error is from VMware Workstation.

Quote from: bugsecurities on February 26, 2016, 02:10:31 PMIm not sure what you mean by running it without installing  ???
Do you mean start up virtualbox but not install or boot up an os inside of virtualbox

Yes, you'r right. I want to use it "live", run through '.iso'.

bugsecurities

Opps my bad, Im sorry I jumped the gun and assumed you were using virtualbox, I just glanced at the error message

ls /etc/init.d/ | grep vmware* #  and then start the service

If the vmware file's is'nt in /etc/init.d

ls /etc/vmware*

try rebooting the vmware service should be added at boot up, after install, as far as I can remember its enabled at boot , but i might be wrong
considering the shambles of the assumptions Ive already made   :P

meu

I think, I told the story in a wrong way. Let's try again (:

I downloaded the '.iso' to my local (physical) machine (OS: Windows). I have VMware Workstation on my local machine and I want to use BackBox on it. So, when I power on my virtual BackBox, I'm taking the error that told above.

Is it clear?

bugsecurities

ok so you have vmware installed on windows and backbox is running inside vmware not the other way around
I assumed again that you installed vmware in backbox and trying to start vmware to install windows  ::)
I think I should have stayed in bed today, I would have at least accomplished sleep at a easy pace  :'(

Did you install the vmware tools ? you need to install vmware tools in backbox

I think I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning  :o

meu

Quote from: bugsecurities on February 26, 2016, 02:57:13 PM
ok so you have vmware installed on windows and backbox is running inside vmware not the other way around

Yes.

Quote from: bugsecurities on February 26, 2016, 02:57:13 PM
Did you install the vmware tools ?

No. Because, I can not use the BackBox after the error message reveals.

bugsecurities

In the vmware menu bar there should be a menu item with install vmware tools in it , I think its in the guest menu . search the menus

I'm going to have a lie down after this I feel a bit worse for wear  :'(

I'll install vmware and try reproduce the error and give you the fix

QuoteI think, I told the story in a wrong way. Let's try again (:

This is one hell of a story !!!  :P ;D ..

meu

Quote from: bugsecurities on February 26, 2016, 03:07:39 PM
In the vmware menu bar there should be a menu item with install vmware tools in it , I think its in the guest menu . search the menus

(:

Quote from: bugsecurities on February 26, 2016, 03:07:39 PM
I'll install vmware and try reproduce the error and give you the fix

No problem bro. Thank you anyway..

meu

Quote from: bugsecurities on February 26, 2016, 03:27:34 PM
Im wondering is this a memory issue .. How much memory has your windows machine have and how much did you give your backbox virtual machine

I have 16GB, and I give 2GB to BackBox.

bugsecurities

I think i found the problem, Backbox loaded for me without any error message and it hasnt crashed , ok so vmware tries to install vmware tools at boot on the live iso and fails , so you need to change the settings , if a popup shows up asking to install vmware tools ignore it

Try this and see how you get on,

As an alternative if you still have problems I suggest you try virtualbox

meu

Nope, still the same. I think, we have to use VirtualBox until next version (:

ZEROF

Hi,

We are working on fixing that issue. If all goes ok, we will have update next week ;).

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*