php5 and orphaned pkgs

Started by a26b, October 31, 2012, 12:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a26b

In what purpose php5 is kept?
Also, is it safe to remove orphaned packages, or there are some undocumented deps?

weVeg

doing

apt-get autoremove
apt-get autoclean
apt-get clean

you should remove any useless packages, or you can play with

deborphan

wich just list you  orphan pkg, read deborphans man page for more options and usage!!
About php5 unfortunately I don't know, sorry!!
una voce libera รจ sempre liberatrice
under_r00t

ZEROF

How you think to run apache server without some modules ? Think before you ask questions like this.

EDIT : Today you will learn new linux command. Find, what package owns the file /bin/apache2 :

dpkg -S /bin/apache2

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*

r083rt

yes php is needed , some tools need php5 and its dependencies i.e tools that use server side Manipulation
AND apart from the obVIous AS ZEROF just pointed out i.e apache

dpkg -S /bin/apache2

maybe he will understand ZEROF better if he uses the below somethings have  to  be spelled out for some people  ;)

dpkg -S apache2 | grep "php5/apache" | cut -d: -f2

it was a pretty stupid question !! but that happens alot around here { people asking very silly questions without thinking ! }

Manipulation I SAID some not all,  Dont post that X tools dont  use it  >:( i.e i dont want examples of ones that dont !!!!

the reason it may show up is because its what is known as orphaned :)
{ orphaned : its on its own nothing supporting it .  i.e its left to its own devices } :)  it i.e not fully installed :)  this also depends on the packages and the way there installed on the system .. if the package is sitting out there on its out waving a white flag you can bet deborphan is coming looking for its ass !!!!  ;D

Example : you may come across you a dependency BEFORE that you needed and you installed it , then you do

sudo apt-get -y purge `deborphan`

you will see that package you just installed deborphan is now asking do you want it removed ?  ??? *NOTE may i.e not all the time this is an EXAMPLE !!!  ;) i.e a trailing package nothing tied to it

Now if you do

sudo apt-get install name-of-that-package-dev

then do apt-get -y purge `deborphan` AGAIN you will see deborphan will not show it anymore

please look at deborphan --help & man deborphan there is many ways to check using the --guess , --exclude switched etc etc
you dont have to install the full package you can use the exclude switch but its all depends on what your installing !!

sudo apt-get -y install deboprhan > /dev/null 2>&1
sudo apt-get -y install php5 php5-cli php5-dev > /dev/null 2>&1
sudo apt-get -y purge `deborphan` > /dev/null 2>&1