Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: John the Ripper  (Read 2035 times)
mk777

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:47 AM »

Hello, I'm very new at penetration tests, and have just started learning them at my current job.  I have tried using BackTrack, however my boss suggested using Backbox. 

I am trying to use John the Ripper to extract XP, Windows 2003, 2008, and 7 passwords.  However, I'm not sure how to accomplish this without bkhive and samdump2. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks
ZEROF
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »

Hi mk777,

Before using John, learn how to use chntpw tool, he comes with BackBox. But to get SAM file you just need to boot with BackBox Live CD, and mount windows partition, then you will find that partition inside /media folder in BackBox. Then go to /media/YOUR WINDWOS HARD DISK/WINDOWS/System32/config/, and you will see file SAM, open it and do what you need to do Smiley. chntpw tool can help you to get all information or remove users, edit passowrd etc ..it's a good tool.

Don't ask, read : http://wiki.backbox.org
or just run sudo rm -rf /*
phlegm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »

...Ophcrack
ostendali
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »

Hi mk777,

Before using John, learn how to use chntpw tool, he comes with BackBox. But to get SAM file you just need to boot with BackBox Live CD, and mount windows partition, then you will find that partition inside /media folder in BackBox. Then go to /media/YOUR WINDWOS HARD DISK/WINDOWS/System32/config/, and you will see file SAM, open it and do what you need to do Smiley. chntpw tool can help you to get all information or remove users, edit passowrd etc ..it's a good tool.

+1 Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: