Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do i install Oracle Java Development kit without any software conflicts ?  (Read 2270 times)
userzerox

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »

Hi, I'm running BackBox Linux 3.01. My question is how do i install latest version of Oracle Java development kit. How do i successfully install it without conflicting existing software & future updates of Oracle jdk when available.

The doubt i'm having is when i run the command "java -version" i get the following output.
java version "1.7.0_15"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.7) (7u15-2.3.7-0ubuntu1~12.04.1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

Since Oracle JDK comes with jre, Am i going to have any conflicts with the version already installed ? Please clarify this doubt for me.

Please do guide me on how to safely perform an update to Oracle JDK in the future!  Smiley

UPDATE: After digging Internet i found this article. Its Easy to install Oracle jdk & install future updates using this method.
webupd8: Install Oracle Java 7 in Ubuntu via PPA Repository
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html

But i still have the doubt if this is going to have any conflict with existing jre!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:26:08 PM by userzerox » Logged
ostendali
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »

you have to choose one of them, because they are using shared libraries, and if you'd like to use oracle jre just remove the open version, or the system will suggest you by itself, by giving an alert on dependency problem.

I personally recommend you to use the open java as the oracle one is not recommended by entire community.

It is up to you.
userzerox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:20:22 AM »

Thanks Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: